About Me

Many years of drawing and painting portraits lead to cramped creativity. The years of producing work "to please the customer" weighed on my desire to design tactile permanent pieces simply for the real pleasure it gives me. My first freeing step was to produce large designs in rough cut steel to be installed on the outside of buildings. I later moved indoors working in sheets of sterling silver to create jewelry. Finding the silver work more gratifying than steel, I am pleased that people enjoy my jewelry. I make my own stamping tools and hammer most surfaces, finishing with steel wool or polishing to a high shine. My husband, Leigh, and I sell my work at the juried shows we are invited to all across the U.S. Email for prices and information please swadeworks@gmail.com

Saturday, May 9, 2009

May 2009

It was so nice to see former customers at Springfield, MO Artsfest last weekend. Thank you for coming to see me and finding new pieces for your jewelry collections! Too bad it rained so hard on and off all day Sunday. We participated in a very small show yesterday and met some lovely people, had our tent break in high winds, and came home with ten big bushes to plant in the yard! Leigh was able to fix the tent and make the broken part stronger than all the rest of the show tent, no surprise to me. He makes all the shows happen with his great attention to detail and organization. I'd be lost without him. He is, however, not too jazzed about planting all the shrubs. I told him in front of witnesses that I would plant them.....I will probably ask for help on the second hole I must dig if not the first.
Next weekend we are traveling to Tulsa, OK for the International Mayfest in downtown Tulsa and hoping the weather will hold steady with sun and mild winds. I have a lot of new pieces to make for that show and the following three more that are dropping onto the calendar at warp speed.
We will be in Dallas for Artfest 2009 at Fair Park May 22-24, have a weekend off, and then travel to Fredrick, MD for their Festival of Art June 6-7 where we will stay with my sister and have some family time which I am looking forward to.
Leigh will be doing another show in Dallas alone as I will remain up north to go to my nephew's wedding. I am confident Leigh will do a great job at Dallas City Arts 2009 on the weekend of June 12-14. He and our dog Rip will have to drive back to the northeast to meet me on June 18-21 at the huge Boardwalk show in Virginia Beach, VA. We are looking forward to participating in this show having heard wonderful reviews from artist friends concerning the crowds and the setting right on the beach.
We are wait listed for the next weekend and may decide to take it off to catch our breath. The last show before an extended break for the birth of first grandson in mid July :) will be in Rockport, TX over the July 4th weekend.
All in all a very busy spring and summer! I must say, my favorite part will be the birth of a little red head around July 14. Yes, both mother and father have red hair. I think red heads look like they are filled with rainbows, and can't wait to hold him and catch his glow.
More later.....

1 comment:

Joyce Harris said...

I had the pleasure of meeting Sally Wade at a show in East Texas over the weekend. I had no idea that we had such a talented lady living right here in our area. I was next door to her at the show, and was amazed at the wonderful pieces she had designed and created from sheets of silver. The pieces are one of a kind and simply exquisite! Of course, I just had to own a piece of her magnificent work. I liked everything she had created, but chose a silver rectangle pendant of a beautiful harem girl, exquisitely designed and created by Sally Wade. I shall treasure it always!

If Sally Wade should be anywhere near your area, I highly recommend that you stop by and see her outstanding work. She is extremely interesting, and will make you feel very, very welcome.
J. Harris, Holly Lake Ranch, Texas.